Sunday, February 22, 2009

BMTC Diaries: Vroom…..


BMTC (Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation), for those who are wondering what it is, is the government owned city & suburban bus service. Find more about BMTC in BMTC website, and in Wikipedia.

I am using the service of BMTC to commute to work. I have company transport, but since the timings are not convenient to me, I use BMTC to go to office and to return I use office transport. I’ve been using BMTC’s service for the past 3-4 years, except for about an year.

In this series I share my experiences in the daily BMTC travel that I do to office. The morning Bangalore, people, BMTC experiences, that I get during my 1 hour journey to office. The sequence of my travel is of 3 types; Bus-Bus-Bus-Walk (90% of times), Bus-Bus-Walk (8% of times), Bus-Walk (2%); which means, in the first case I have to change 3 buses and walk about a kilometer to my office, as my office is at the end of a business park, and so are the other types.

I set out at around 6 AM in the morning, or at times 6.30, or 7 to the nearby bus stop. I stay in Jayanagar 4-T Block (South Bangalore), and my office is in a place called Nagawara (North Bangalore), so has to cut-across the city.

The route: In the Bus-Bus-Bus-Walk scheme, I take my first bus to Jayanagar 4th Blcok, and from 4th Block another bus which pass through Jayanagar 3rd Block, Lalbagh gardens, Shanthi Nagar BMTC Bus Stand, Residency Road, M.G Road and reach Shivaji Nagar. From Shivaji Nagar I take another bus which goes to Yelahanka, which pass through Cunningham road, Bangalore Cantonment Railway Station, Tannery Road, and finally Nagawara. The entire trip takes about 1 hour in the morning hours before 8.

During the first few days of my travel, I used to go to the bus stop, carrying my bag, somewhat neatly dressed. There used to be very few people at the bus-stop, like some flower or vegetable sellers, a few students who are going for their early morning tuitions and very few early office goers like me. Initial days, I used to get these who-is-this-guy kind of looks from the vendors, and a few other people since they used to see office goers only little late.

More any my daily experiences are on the way. Do let me know what you feel on this article.

Love
Gopu

5 comments:

  1. nothing great. this is a daily experience for many people who travel by the BMTC was. In my case its walk - bus. bus - walk (auto). for people who just support global warming suddenly this might be an exhilarating experience otherwise its just normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymus, Appreciate your views. I am not claming this post/series to be great. It may be normal for many. I am just sharing my views and experiences in this space. Thanks for your visit.

    Gopu

    ReplyDelete
  3. anyways its good that you travel by bus now , it helps saving cost in times of recession and also helps in reducing global warming since you are choosing to travel by public transport

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walk five minutes to catch an auto and I am in office within 15 mins. I can't even imagine how tedious this Bus-Bus-Bus-Walk commute must be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, are you crazy. Why don't take a house near your office. This kind of travelling daily spoils your health

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Anything to say? Put your point across in the space below.